MRead

High volume around holidays

I noticed while doing some Christmas shopping that items that might be commonly gifted (in this case I was looking at Roombas), are frequently flagged for reviews created on high volume days. Looking closer at the high volume days, most are happening in the couple of weeks after Christmas where you would intuitively expect there to be a bump in the number of reviews for an item that was a popular gift that year.

Here is an example page: https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B07DL4QY5V

It might be worth considering weighing high volume days in late December or January a little less to take this into consideration.

This is already somewhat considered - we always check to see what the high-volume day reviewers are saying vs. the rest of the reviews.  In this case, we can see that the 9% of reviews that are written on high-volume days give the product 4.5 stars on average, while everyone else gives the product 4.1 stars.  In my opinion, this would mean that these reviews are somehow biased.  They may not be "fake", but there's something fishy going on about them.

Either way, you can always click "View/Edit Adjustment" and slide the "Reviews on high volume days" dial all the way to the right, hit "Apply New Weighting" and you can see what the adjusted rating is with those reviews included.

• Like 1