ReviewMeta Forum
TPS

Potential Android app redirecting to RM

I opened an RFE @ https://github.com/cstew/TryCamel/issues/2 to adapt an existing simple Android app to share Amazon URLs into the appropriate analysis page @ RM.  Anyone interested (especially @Tommy), please support via comments there!  Such makes a lot of difference to (especially open-source) developers! ?

Wow, seems like it wouldn't be hard at all to just use that source code to make something that does exactly this but for ReviewMeta.  Developing Andriod/Iphone apps isn't something that I'm familiar with, but I think that it could be easily figured out since the concept is so darn simple.

• Like 1

The MIT Licensing would let 1 just change that redirecting bit to RM, & republish, though 1 would have to change some resources (new app & package name, & different images, &c).  The most difficult part might be putting together the actual build environment.

Unfortunately, the original dev has no interest in RM.

I don't blame the dev - adding support for multiple sites would eliminate the simplicity of the whole thing.

That said, this is an excellent start for the app that we are eventually going to build.  Just need to find a contractor who has some experience with publishing Android apps.  Hopefully we'll have something soon!

I wonder whether you even need that much?  Perhaps a small banner across RM pages to invite some number of Android/mobile devs to be interested in supporting a RM redirect someplace?  Like DuckDuckGo did w/ !ReviewMeta?  Or 1 of them to fork the aforementioned app, so all that it does is send an ASIN/Amazon URL to RM?

Edited by TPS (see edit history)

There's still a matter of publishing it through the Google Play store and managing it that I wouldn't necessarily want to "crowdsource".

• Like 1

I'd be very interested in this and I'm sorry for this being my first post but I love the RM concept in general. Its important imo as well at a time where we must question more and more things on the internet, media, TV, radio, movies, etc not just Amazon and not just reviews.... that being said I dig it guys and I've heard a few podcasts and been reading about RM and using it for a few weeks now and im pretty sure I see the vision and would love to help or learn more! Thanks

• Like 1

ReviewMeta Phone Apps ?

On 3/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Tommy said:

Just need to find a contractor who has some experience with publishing Android apps.  Hopefully we'll have something soon!

Is the source available?  Such would help expand RM's reach.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:15 PM, TPS said:

ReviewMeta Phone Apps ?

Is the source available?  Such would help expand RM's reach.

The source of the app?  I'm sure we could make it available.  What changes did you want to make?

• Thanks 1

A couple reasons for open-source:

- It could potentially be included in F-Droid (if appropriately licensed), thereby increasing RM's reach

- Users who are devs (I'm not :classic_wink:) could help with feature requests &/or bug fixes. (e.g.:  Using app as pure redirector, allowing to open in user's choice browser or using app to open RM links)

Edited by TPS (see edit history)