ReviewMeta Forum
Guyr8s

PayPal or Patreon option needed + nut query

It would behoove you and make it easier for folks like me, to arrange acceptance of PayPal donations OR setup with Patreon.com for ongoing and continuous supporters. The limit to using credit cards only is a deal-breaker for me. 

Another issue that might help gifting would be a simple mathematical focus to your monetary challenge.  Something like this:
"If the users of our site could contribute $0.03 each time they use it it would cover our expenses."
"If our users could see their way clear to donate $1.24 a month or say, $15.00 a year, we could eliminate ads, speed up the site, and improve my sleep patterns!"

I am making up the numbers but you likely already know what that data is quite well. I use and appreciate what you offer. If we knew the impact our single contribution meant, it would make helping your service much more personal and rewarding. Thank you!

• Meow 1

Hello Guyr8s-

Thanks for writing in.  As I mentioned on the "Donate" page (https://reviewmeta.com/donate) I previously had Paypal open for donations, and even started setting up a Pateron account, however part of me never really felt right taking my visitor's money.  I know that a lot of successful online businesses run entirely on donations (e.g. Wikipedia) but for some reason, I just feel uncomfortable when people are generous with me when I think there's other people or organizations that need it more.

That said, here's a few things to keep in mind:

• If you want to hide ads, anyone can click the big button at the bottom of the page here: https://reviewmeta.com/donate (If it's not working, just let me know and I'll fix it.  The button broke once, so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks again).  Don't feel bad about clicking the button - it's like a fraction of a fraction of a cent of ad revenue.
  • If you want to help the site improve, share your ideas and feedback here on the forum.  I'm happy to discuss features and upgrades here (also, trying to spark some discussion here on the forum).  A lot of the features added to the site in the last year have started as suggestions from visitors like yourself!
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:11 AM, flixflix said:

Do you make any money via the links and ads though? Is it enough to cover your costs and time?

Yes, we are able to cover the costs of the server and a little bit extra.  I haven't run the numbers in a while, but I think that I still haven't even recovered the full investment in the site (was losing money the first several years).  I'm not doing this to get rich - I thought it would be a fun hobby to put together and now it's grown to a lot more than that.  I still don't feel comfortable taking people's money and I'd rather them donate to the ACLU or CPJ as mentioned on the donate page: https://reviewmeta.com/donate

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 3:53 AM, Tommy said:

I'm not doing this to get rich - I thought it would be a fun hobby to put together and now it's grown to a lot more than that.  I still don't feel comfortable taking people's money and I'd rather them donate to the ACLU or CPJ as mentioned on the donate page: https://reviewmeta.com/donate

This right here is one of the many reasons why I love ReviewMeta so much!  Whenever I brag about your site to someone and they call into question what you get out of it, I always tell them that you did not put this together to get rich, but because of your love for transparency

• Like 1